SOUTHERN SWEET POTATOES
This is my grandmother's best friend, sweet Ms. Beverly B's recipe and my family has been enjoying it for over 50 years. It's so good, and it's no wonder it's stuck around this long. It has always been a staple in our home during the holidays and will continue to be. So, if you're looking for a new side, this should be it! And if you're still needing a few more ideas on what will pair well with your main dish, look no further. Sweet Corn Soufflé, Roasted Asparagus, Marscapone Mashed Potatoes, Spiced Cranberry Sauce and Savory Sausage Stuffing. All of these go well, whether it's prime rib or turkey again.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 cups mashed sweet potato or 42 oz can yams, drained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 melted butter
- 1/3 cup self rising flour
- Mix together first six ingredients.
- Pour into a medium baking dish.
- Mix together topping ingredients and spread evenly on top of sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until topping begins to lightly brown.
*Can be made ahead and stored in the fridge overnight. Only leave off topping and store in an airtight container. Then add before baking. Adjust baking time by 10 minutes to account for being refrigerated.