Well, ain't that pretty....Today, I'm sharing with you the most delicious beef tenderloin recipe that I've been making for quite sometime. Number one, because it's TO DIE FOR. Number two, because it looks fancy + tastes gourmet, yet a rookie cook can pull it off! If you're wondering what to serve at this years Christmas dinner, look no further. Trust me.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 16oz pkg gourmet mushrooms, sliced if not
- 1 pkg fresh thyme sprigs
- 6-8 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 tbs dijon mustard
- kosher salt + pepper
- 1/4 cup whole peppercorns
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4-5 lb beef tenderloin
WHAT TO DO
- Pre heat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Rub beef tenderloin with mustard and season well with kosher salt and peppercorns and set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium high heat and add olive oil.
- Add mushrooms, garlic cloves and fresh thyme sprigs.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Push mushrooms and garlic mixture to the outsides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and place beef in the center of cast iron pan, peppercorn side up.
- Melt butter and drizzle over top of the roast.
- Put roast into preheated oven and cook until beef reaches 120-125 degrees F for medium rare, (how it's best) about 35 minutes.
- When temp is reached, remove from oven, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
Slice and serve. We love it with a creamy Horseradish sauce. Here's a simple one that's easy to make, and can be made ahead. It's actually better that way.
CREAMY HORSERADISH SAUCE
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup of prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- salt + pepper
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, until smooth. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 3 hours, but better if left over night.