GOAT CHEESE + BACON WRAPPED FIGS
WHAT YOU NEED
8 Slices Bacon
8 figs, firm and ripe, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1/4 lb. goat cheese
3 tbs. light brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. lemon juice, fresh and to taste
1 tbs. olive oiL
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat boiler.
2. Cook bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until most of the fat is rendered but bacon is still pliable, about 10 minutes. YOU DO NOT want crispy bacon!
3. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain.
4. Remove 1 scoop of flesh from each of the fig halves with the small end of a melon-baller.
5. Scoop out a piece of the goat cheese with the same melon baller and fill in the hole in each fig half with the cheese scoop.
6. Stir together brown sugar, cumin, and salt in a small bowl.
7. Rub the mixture onto 1 side of each bacon slice, and cut each bacon slice in half to have 16 slices of bacon.
8. Wrap 1 of the half strips of bacon around 1 of the fig halves, leaving the sugar/spice side out, and secure with a toothpick.
9. Broil the figs on the top rack of a broiler pan about 3 inches from the heat, until bacon is browned about 2 minutes.
Serve warm /makes 16 halves