CHORIZO + TURKEY STUFFED PEPPERS
If you’re like me and planted as summer garden, chances are your pepper plants are poppin’ right about now! What does that mean for you and me? Time to hit the kitchen and get creative with the pepper recipes!
First of all let me say, I LOVE this recipe. Whether you’re look for an appetizer to serve while entertaining friends or an easy weekday dinner recipe that the family will enjoy, look no further than these stuffed peppers. Did I mention they’re easy to make AND absolutely mouthwatering delicious (hello Chorizo!!!)!? Ready, set go... Time to head to the kitchen!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
5 large or 10 small poblano peppers
1 1/2 tbs avocado oil
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 lb ground chorizo
1 small white onion, diced
1 large jalapeño pepper, diced
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (I like Tillamook brand best)
1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
1 cup white queso dip, melted
1/2 cup cilantro, rough chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
salt + pepper to taste
WHAT TO DO
1. Heat grill to 400 degrees. *these can also be cooked in the oven if you don’t have an outdoor grill - also at 400 degrees
2. In a medium skillet add avocado oil and heat to medium heat.
3. Sautée diced jalapeños and onion until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine ground turkey, chorizo, shredded cheese, 1/4 cup of the cilantro, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
5. Add sautéed onions, peppers and combine meat mixture well with your hands.
6. Next slice poblano peppers lengthwise and remove seeds, leaving stems attached.
7. Place peppers on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
8. Carefully stuff poblanos with raw meat mixture, making sure to press meat down into the pepper. Filling each one just a tad over the top, creating a slight mound.
9. Sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco and remainder of chopped cilantro.
10. Place sheet pan directly on grill grate, close lid and let cook for 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through completely.
11. Just before peppers are finished cooking, heat queso dip in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
12. Remove pan from grill or oven. Immediately drizzle melted queso dip with a spoon over peppers and serve.