My husband Steve hates salads. It’s actually a running joke in our family that he has never eaten a salad in his life. Cold foods just aren't his thing. He is a meat and potatoes kinda guy! As for me, there is nothing I love more than a salad with something grilled on top. Trying to keep my girlish figure, ya know? I will say Steve has been doing so good on this keto train with me, and he did say he would eat salads if they were sautéed. Well honey…challenge accepted!
I’ve been teasing and you ladies have been asking, so without further ado I introduce to you the Grilled Salad I've been raving about. When Steve tried it for the first time he said to me and I quote, “babe this is the best thing I’ve ever eaten.” We have this at least twice a week. I even have him experimenting with different dressings. Truly never thought this day would come!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
2 large hearts of romaine lettuce
1 large purple or red onion
3 large heirloom tomatoes (Can get a variety of colors. I use yellow, green, and red)
4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Any other salad toppings you might want (zucchini, mushrooms, cucumbers, etc. )
WHAT YOU'LL DO
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees on the roast setting.
2. Slice the whole tomatoes and purple onion
3. Lay on parchment lined baking sheet
4. Drizzle olive oil over top
5. Sprinkle with salt and cracked pepper
6. Place into the oven for 25-30 minutes until a little charred, soft, and tender
ROMAINE LETTUCE -
Note: If you don’t have a grill, the oven works just fine. Preheat to 425 degrees and place in oven for 3-5 minutes.
1. Preheat the grill to 400 degrees
2. Slice romaine hearts lengthwise right down the center
2. In a small dish, mix together some of the olive oil with salt and cracked pepper
3. Brush olive oil mix onto each side of the romaine
4. Place on the grill for 2 minutes on each side until edges are wilted and a little charred
Lastly, plate your romaine and add the tomatoes and other veggies on top. You can also crumble blue cheese, fresh mozzarella, or any other topping you might like, add in a protein like grilled shrimp or chicken, dress it and you’re finished. We’ve been loving caesar dressing and blue cheese dressing lately but anything will work!