ZUCCHINI LASAGNA ROLL-UPS
So one of the most requested topics that I got when I asked you what you guys wanted to see more of was recipes, recipes, recipes. I got tons of request for healthy recipes and quick and easy week night meals. Guess what ladies; when you ask, Landyn delivers! Today I am sharing a recipe that ticks of the healthy and quick and easy requirements all at once. What can I say, I am a multi-tasking girl. This recipe is so simple and delicious. My kids always gobble it up and never even miss the lasagna noodles. If you are nervous about whether your kids will go for a zucchini noodle, you can always make half of the dish with zucchini noodles and half with regular lasagna noodles. Bon appétit my loves!
- 1 lb ground Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1 jar Puttanesca (spicy sauce) or marinara sauce
- 1 oz can of tomato paste
- 8 oz part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmsesan cheese
- 1 tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Preheat your oven to broil. In a medium skillet cook turkey, minced garlic and onion powder. Set aside. In a medium bowl combine ricotta + parmesan + mozzarella cheese and basil. Set aside. Carefully using a mandolin or a spiralizer, slice zucchini into 1/8 inch ribbons. Not too thin, but thick enough, that they’ll still be able to bend without breaking. They will act as a lasagna noodle in this recipe.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place your zucchini ribbons on baking sheet and broil for about 2 minutes. Watch them carefully, you don’t want to burn, just cook them a tad. It will help when rolling them later. You will need to do this in batches. After the 2 minutes, remove and let cool on a plate while you broil the rest.
- Once your zucchini noodles are pre-cooked, add the browned turkey sausage to the cheese mixture and mix well. Pour jar of tomato sauce into the bottom of your large baking dish. add tomato paste and mix well. Then spread sauce evenly on dish.
- Lay noodle on flat surface and scoop about 1/4 cup of mixture at one end of zucchini ribbon and roll it up. They can be a little fragile. Carefully scoop roll up, sometimes a spatula helps and place it on top of sauce. Repeat the process. You should be able to snug them together, 4 to 5 per row, giving you about 16-20 roll-ups.
- Sprinkle with a little mozzarella on top and bake in a 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Just add garlic bread + a bag salad. Dinner is done my friends!