TURKEY BAKED ZITI
This is a KID FAVORITE and is requested weekly. Super simple to throw together. I always try to keep my pantry stocked with these ingredients. Perfect for those busy weeknights. Most times I make ahead in the morning, cover and refrigerate until I'm ready. You'll just need to tack on about 15 more minutes to the cooking time. It's one of my go-to meals and something I feel good about serving to my family. It's healthy + filling and flavorful. I'm certain once you make it, they'll be asking for seconds.
- 1 lb Jennie-O Ground Turkey Meat
- 1 lb box Ziti pasta, whole wheat
- 15 oz Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 28 oz can organic crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz. can of organic tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 8-10 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt + pepper
Boil pasta, drain and set aside. In a medium skillet brown turkey. In a large bowl combine crushed tomatoes + fresh herbs + tomato paste + salt & pepper to taste, and browned turkey meat. Add cooked ziti noodles and mix well. Set aside.
In a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, parmesan cheese, 1/2 of mozzarella cheese and onion and garlic powder. Mix well.
Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Layer 1/3 of turkey/ziti mixture, and dot with spoonfuls of ricotta all over 1st layer. Repeat two more times. Cover with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is golden. Let stand for 5-10 minutes after cooking.
Just add garlic bread + salad, and dinner is DONE!