When sweet Mary Jo (port2palm on Instagram) sent me this moving video on TikTok, I knew I needed to share it with you guys.
Parenting a teenager can be TOUGH. Especially being a mother of a boy, I had to put in overtime to communicate and connect with Luke in a way I knew he’d resonate with.
And I think I was so moved by this video because Luke was also 14 when I first watched it.
So mama, know I’m right there in the trenches with you as we try to navigate these years the best we can, even when it feels like what we are doing isn’t nearly good enough.
After watching this video, I knew I wanted to know more about the man in it.
After doing some digging, I learned his name is Jordan Toma and his TikTok name – imjustakidananiep – came from a very, special point in his life.
Jordan is now a financial advisor turned speaker/coach from New Jersey that was diagnosed with ADHD, Dyslexia, and Auditory Processing Disorder. He struggled most of his younger years from a behavioral and educational perspective – until he was given the gift of an IEP – Individualized Education Plan. Being able to understand how to turn his struggles into his strengths changed his entire life.
Jordan’s mission is to be the person he needed during those developmental years. And now he’s here to help you and your child, too.
And he’s on the podcast with me today!
I feel like he’s the translator from the kids to the parents – uncovering what is ACTUALLY going on behind the scenes at school and in their mindset. Whether you feel that your child is falling behind academically or socially – my hope is that this episode is a resource for you to communicate effectively with your child.
In this episode, Jordan is laying out:
- What an IEP is and how to access this for your child
- The words your child is longing to hear from you as the parent
- What to do if you and your spouse aren’t on the same page on what’s best for your child
- Resources available to your child from elementary to highschool if they aren’t fulfilling their highest potential
- Encouragement for your parent heart to keep going
Being a father himself, Jordan is empathetic, educational, and he’s throwing out tangible tips on ways to help your child turn their struggles into strengths.
Three things Jordan suggests to expedite your child’s path is to:
- Find a strength of theirs and celebrate it! (publish an article on Amazon – let the child see and feel the success!)
- Remind them that their struggle is their strength.
- Let your son or daughter prove to themselves that they are capable.
Jordan is giving us tangible ways to do all the above, so be sure to tune in to hear the whole episode!
You’re doing a good job, mama.
Follow Jordan here! https://www.instagram.com/imjustakidwithaniep/