Today and Friday are going to be all about Christmas traditions over here at the Hutchinson residence. I’ve had the opportunity to partner with Nordstrom (I know! I freaked out too!) sharing two of my favorite holiday traditions. One is all about family and the sweet kiddos that make Christmas so special and Friday’s is all about a tradition for mama and her girlfriends.
It’s all about Christmas morning in our house. I don’t know about you guys, but I am kind of a CRAZY person when it comes to what everyone wears on Christmas morning around the tree. 364 days out of the year I am perfectly fine with you being in a ratty t-shirt and some holey boxer shorts, but on Christmas morning we better all look like we are straight out of the Nordstrom holiday catalog. Please say I am not the only one who is like this!
We started a tradition when the kids were little that we would always get them a brand new pair of cute pajamas to open and wear on Christmas Eve. That way the kids were guaranteed at least ONE present to open on Christmas Eve and mama was guaranteed her sanity, so she wouldn’t be screaming her head off at the kids on Christmas morning to go change their clothes. That’s a really quick way to ruin the Christmas spirit right there. #guilty
As my babies have gotten a little older (sniff, sniff) the days of matching footy pajamas are out the window, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t still get us in something cute and coordinating! Luckily Nordstrom came to the rescue. You know this gal has a MAJOR soft spot in her heart for ole Nordy and they currently have the CUTEST pajamas for the entire family. I ran in to my local store and literally had the hardest time picking out what I wanted everyone to wear, because it was all so freakin’ cute. So what’s a girl to do? Source everything I love for you guys so you don’t have to go through the debate of what you should buy for everyone. You know, if I can take something off your Christmas to-do list, then I am going to try to deliver.
photo | lindsey grace photography
Don’t you worry! He was working during this photo, but he’ll be wearing some coordinating grey pants on the 25th. Whether he he likes it or not. He married me! I’ll remind him of that. And I also remind him daily, how lucky he is to be “Living with Landyn”! lol
FOR THE KIDDOS
Another Christmas morning tradition is this Christmas Breakfast Casserole recipe. We literally have it every year for Christmas and it is such a hit with everyone in my family. It is actually a recipe that was passed down from my mom, and I love that I get to share it with my little family now. I hope one day that Luke and Lily are sharing it with their own families. That is the thing that is so great about Christmas traditions. It doesn’t have to be something elaborate and completely unique to make it special. I am sure we are one of about 36 gazillion people, who gift their kids pajamas and make something special for breakfast on Christmas morning. That is not what makes it special. Building on something year after year, that your kids remember and carry-on into their adult lives with their own families is what it’s all about. Hopefully this recipe will become one of your families Christmas traditions!
FRENCH TOAST BAKE
photo | landyn
- 1 large loaf of crusty bread (I like using sourdough)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbs pure vanilla
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Rough chop loaf of bread into cubes and place evenly into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs + milk + cream + sugar and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread.
- Cover your dish with saran wrap and refridgerate over night.
- In a small bowl mix together flour + brown sugar + salt and cinnamon.
- Cut butter into sugar and flour mix until crumbly. You can do this morning of, but I do night before and place in ziploc bag until morning.
- Take baking dish + sugar mix out of the refridgerater in morning. Sprinkle topping evenly over bread.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
I also like to make this one too. That way on Christmas morning you have something sweet and something savory for everyone. Just set out a bowl of cut up fruit and breakfast is done! No one has to be working away in the kitchen, missing all the action. Only thing to do…..OPEN GIFTS!!
CHEESY BACON EGG CASSEROLE
photo | landyn
- 7-9 slices of crusty bread, again I like sourdough
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- S & P to taste
- 12 slices of thick cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Whisk together eggs + milk + dry mustard + S & P.
- Toss together bread cubes + bacon + cheese. Spread into a greased 9X13 baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over top.
- Cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate over night.
- In the morning, bake uncovered at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Thank you to Nordstrom for sponsoring this post and thank you to all of your that support the brands that help make Living with Landyn possible. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.