This one comes from my mother-in-law, Sandi. Which she got from one of her dear friend/co-worker, Brenda. She’s been making this one for as long as I can remember, and don’t forget I’ve been eating at her kitchen table for about 25 years now. I remember being invited to my then boyfriends house for dinner, and this was a dish she made I’ll never forgot. SO good! I love the fact that I now serve it to her grandkids, while making something that brings back memories for the hubs. One of those full circle moments.
It’s one of those comfort dishes and every time I make it, there are NEVER any leftovers. It has quickly become one of my children’s favorites. They refer to it as, “Grandma’s Chicken with the gravy” and I love that.
It’s quite simple to throw together. Can even be done ahead of time and refrigerated on busy days. I’m all about that! Now, if you’re watching your calories, it may not be the best choice, but heck….who cares! I don’t. It’s that good, and to me it’s worth splurging on. I have however tweaked the original recipe with brown rice + ‘low fat’ + ‘reduced sodium’ ingredients. Which hasn’t really altered the taste, so I’ll leave that up to you.
I usually pair with a steamed green veggie and whole grain dinner rolls. Dang, this is making me hungry just typing this.
- 6-8 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 12 - 14 slices of dried beef
- 2 14.5 oz Cream of Chicken Soup
- 16 oz ‘light’ sour cream
- 6 - 8 bacon slices, uncooked
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place a slice of dried beef under chicken breast and secure by wrapping each breast with a piece or two of uncooked bacon. Then place wrapped chicken breast in baking dish. Repeat with each breast.
- In a medium size bowl mix together sour cream + cream of chicken soup. Pour evenly over chicken, using a spatula to spread and cover chicken evenly.
- Bake covered with foil for 1 1/2 hours. Take off foil the last 10 minutes.
- I suggest serving over rice or wide egg noodles. My family digs it over short grain brown rice. Be sure to ladle that yummy gravy over top. The BEST part!