French toast isn’t rocket science really and we all grew up eating it. It’s just why is it so damn good at some places and not at others? That is the question. The answer…..THE BREAD.
It’s all about using the right bread. I recently walked by the bakery at The Fresh Market and a pretty loaf of French Brioche caught my eye. I thought, hmmmm, let me try that tomorrow morning, cause isn’t that what the French use? Even buying it made me feel fancy, and possibly the fact that I was wearing floral and a cute hat. I dunno. I made my usual french toast
recipe and you know what? This time it was MIND BLOWING.That was it. I was using the wrong bread the entire time. People!! Listen to me, only make it with Brioche bread from now on.
My kids ask for this EVERY Sunday morning since I made the switch.
- 1 loaf EuroClassic Brioche Bread, sliced
- 6 whole organic eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Whitney’s Maple Spring Farm Syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs local honey
- Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter for griddle
- Heat flat top griddle to 325°.
- In a small bowl whisk all ingredients together well. Set aside.
- Pour egg mixture into a pie plate for easy dipping.
- Dip bread in egg mixture, coating each side well.
- Place on buttered hot griddle and cook until golden brown, flip till other side is golden brown.
- Slice and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar + fresh berries.