Every Thanksgiving needs a good stuffing, so to add a little flavor I decided cranberry and apple could do the trick! I even carved out mini white pumpkins to use and serve individually to my guest. I thought it would be fun and they turned out perfectly.
- 1 cup of wild rice
- 1 loaf of french bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of onion, diced
- 1 cup of celery, diced
- 1 cup of apple, diced
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons of fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 cup of chicken/turkey stock
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook wild rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread cubed breadcrumbs on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Lightly toast for about 5 – 7 minutes (watch carefully). Remove from oven when lightly toasted.
- Brown pork sausage in a sautee pan until cooked through. Drain well on a plate with paper towels and to remove most of the grease.
- Melt butter in a large sautéed pan, add celery, onion, apples- sautéed until tender about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in fresh herbs seasoning and salt & pepper.
- In a large bowl add rice, bread, celery mixture, sausage, cranberries, stock and egg. Mix together well.
- Pour into a greased 9 X 13 baking dish. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake and additional 10 minutes.
*Bake the same as directed above for the mini pumpkins. They are sure to get a kick out of these. I mean, who doesn’t love a mini? Am I right?