Oh, Bob….. where do I begin. My love affair for these store bought potatoes goes waaaaaay back. I’m trying to think back as when I first discovered them. I believe it was a desperate attempt at a home cooked meal and then ran out of time. STORY OF MY LIFE. I think it was one of the things my son actually like as a little kid. No matter the day, let’s just say I haven’t stopped buying them since. And I don’t just mean during the hoilday’s. I always have those little individual two packs on hand for a quick side dish during the week, and yes….my kids still love them. Quite honestly, my whole family does- in-laws included, and Mr. is a toughie to fool at times. Ladies, I’m telling you they are fool proof and will have those mashed potato snobs coming back for thirds. Trust me. Try them out this holiday and see for yourself. I promise you will thank me and say goodbye to the days of peeling & mashing.
I put together a little “recipe” for you, if you can even call it that. You really don’t need to doctor them up, but sometimes I add cream cheese or chives etc…. Have fun with them or leave them alone. Either way, there will be no leftovers. Also, they keep in the fridge for a bit. So, if you see them in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, stock up. I think the words gotten out.
Love you. Mean it.
- 32 oz package Family Size Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 oz melted butter, + more for serving.
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh thyme for garnish
- Let cream cheese & butter come to room temperature.
- Get the Bob Evans mashed potatoes from fridge.
- Add cream cheese and butter to a large mixing bowl.
- With a hand mixer, blend cream cheese & butter together.
- Add mashed potatoes from package to the bowl and continue to whip with cream cheese and butter on medium speed until well blended.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Transfer into one of your pretty oven safe dishes.
- Top with a few pads of butter on top, garnish with fresh thyme.
- Two ways to heat- you can microwave until heated through or cover tightly with foil and bake on 325° for 25- 30 mins or until heated completely.
I took your recommendation and tried these as substitute in my family’s favorite mashed pot recipe and I’ve never looked back!! So easy and delicious!!
Place family size potatoes in baking dish
Mix 2 cups of heavy cream
Dash garlic salt
2 C sharp cheddar
Spread over the top of potatoes and bake for 25 min on 350 or until heated thru and cheese is melted. ❤️
Would I be able to heat these on low in a crock pot, to save space in my oven? thank you in advance.
I don’t see why not? But I would test it first!
Yes you can, just put a thin kitchen towel over crock pot before putting lid on. This keeps steam from dripping into potatoes while they heat. I do it every year!
Something has changed in the recipe. They were perfect and now taste like instant mashed potatoes!