Well, this one was a long time coming. I hate how behind I’ve been about posting recipes as I make them, but you girls get that mom/work life and I thank you for that. This was one that I made up on a whim and the fact that my garden was OVERFLOWING with tomatoes + basil this summer I had to get creative. I mean, I could have opened a vegetable stand in my front yard. HA!
You can pair your stuffed tomatoes with pasta, risotto or in our case we used shirataki noodles. These are great if you are following a Keto lifstyle or watching your carbs. They are delicious and to be honest, we haven’t made real pasta in almost 2 years. You can toss them with your favorite sauce and won’t be able to tell the difference. Try my pesto recipe here.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the tops off tomatoes and scoop insides out with a spoon, creating a bowl out of your tomato.
- Salt insides well and set upside down for 15 minutes on a wire rack to allow all the moisture to come out of tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, chop chicken into bite size pieces.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add olive oil and minced garlic, allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Pour chicken + garlic in a bowl, add parmesan cheese, pepper and toss gently.
- Place tomatoes in a baking dish.
- Evenly fill each tomato with chicken mixture and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until tomatoes are tender and cheese is golden brown, about 30-35 minutes.