- 8 Slices Bacon
- 8 figs, firm and ripe, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 lb. goat cheese
- 3 tbs. light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice, fresh and to taste
- 1 tbs. olive oiL
- 1. Preheat boiler.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until most of the fat is rendered but bacon is still pliable, about 10 minutes. YOU DO NOT want crispy bacon!
- 3. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain.
- 4. Remove 1 scoop of flesh from each of the fig halves with the small end of a melon-baller.
- 5. Scoop out a piece of the goat cheese with the same melon baller and fill in the hole in each fig half with the cheese scoop.
- 6. Stir together brown sugar, cumin, and salt in a small bowl.
- 7. Rub the mixture onto 1 side of each bacon slice, and cut each bacon slice in half to have 16 slices of bacon.
- 8. Wrap 1 of the half strips of bacon around 1 of the fig halves, leaving the sugar/spice side out, and secure with a toothpick.
- 9. Broil the figs on the top rack of a broiler pan about 3 inches from the heat, until bacon is browned about 2 minutes.
- Serve warm /makes 16 halves