You asked + I deliver! In the last month, Steve has finally given salad a chance…yes it has taken him 17 years to even try salad, but now he is hooked! As a man who loves to grill, I decided to add a little spin to a generic salad and do a grilled romaine salad for him and he is now hooked. This thing is the easiest…take what you have to make a salad, put it on the grill and BOOM, you have one of the best side dishes you will ever need.
- 2 large hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1 large purple or red onion
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes (Can get a variety of colors. I use yellow, green, and red)
- 2 avocados
- 4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Cracked pepper
- Mozzarella pearls
- Any other salad toppings you might want (zucchini, mushrooms, cucumbers, etc. )
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees on the roast setting.
- Slice the whole tomatoes and purple onion
- Lay on parchment lined baking sheet
- Drizzle olive oil over top
- Sprinkle with salt and cracked pepper
- Place into the oven for 25-30 minutes until a little charred, soft, and tender
- Note: If you don’t have a grill, the oven works just fine. Preheat to 425 degrees and place in oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees
- Slice romaine hearts lengthwise right down the center
- In a small dish, mix together some of the olive oil with salt and cracked pepper
- Brush olive oil mix onto each side of the romaine
- Place on the grill for 2 minutes on each side until edges are wilted and a little charred
- Lastly, plate your romaine and add the tomatoes and other veggies on top. You can also crumble blue cheese, fresh mozzarella, or any other topping you might like, add in a protein like grilled shrimp or chicken, dress it and you’re finished. We’ve been loving caesar dressing and blue cheese dressing lately but anything will work!