For our last recipe from Suzanne Ryan of Keto Karma we’re doing her Sausage-stuffed Mushrooms from her new cookbook, Beyond Simply Keto. These are a perfect appetizer for a party or side dish at dinner. I’m cooking these with Suzanne on Instagram stories tonight, see you there!
These stuffed mushrooms are my go-to recipe for any potluck. They’re always a huge hit. As always, I like to keep things simple, so these are made with only four main ingredients! You can prep them in advance and then pop them in the oven (or air fryer) right before serving. I prefer to use cremini mushrooms because I find them to be more hearty, but white mushrooms work just as well.
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 32 large cremini mushrooms (about 2 inches in diameter)
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, mild or hot
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Place one oven rack in the middle position and another rack in the top position. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Set a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Put the cream cheese in a large bowl and set aside.
- Separate the mushroom stems from the caps. Chop ?1 cup of the stems, then set them aside.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often to crumble, about 8 minutes. Drain the fat, then pour the warm sausage over the cream cheese.
- Sauté the chopped mushroom stems in the same skillet until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and mushroom mixture to the bowl with the sausage and cream cheese. Mix well to incorporate.
- Stuff the mushroom caps generously with the sausage mixture. Place the mushrooms on the wire rack on the baking sheet.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and the tops are golden brown. Transfer the pan to the top rack in the oven and broil on high until bubbly and golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Air fryer Method:
- To make the stuffed mushrooms in an air fryer, spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Cook the prepared mushrooms at 325°F for 16 to 18 minutes.