Summer is full of backyard get togethers and lots of eating. My favorite season by far. Plus, you have to remember I’m a Florida girl and grew up with “Martha Stewart” for a mother. I learned early how to outdoor entertain. Although a seasoned veteran, coming up with fresh + new menu ideas can sometimes be a daunting task. Most times I’ll recycle family recipes and rotate the usual suspects. I mean, there are only so many picnic + bbq foods, am I right? But they still can become B O R I N G and when entertaining our same great friends, the last thing I want them is unexcited about the menu. Including us.
My favorite thing to do is just put a spin on the classics and think outside the box a little. This potato salad recipe is the perfect example. It was born with ingredients I already had in the house and one Sunday afternoon when I over heard my hubby on the phone say to friends, ‘ Sure, come on over!’ I panicked for a minute, and then got busy. And you know what? It’s one of the BEST potato salads I’ve made and everyone mentions it when invited over. I also like that it’s mayo free and has a little kick from the feta and red wine vinegar. And no need to worry about it sitting out after the ice melts and to be honest it’s damn good at room temperature.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, boiled + quartered (skins on)
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped (green parts too)
- 3 TBS fresh dill, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt + pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes, optional
- Scrub potatoes and rinse.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Once water is at a boil carefully drop potatoes in, skins on, and boil for 18-25 minutes or until tender with a fork. Drain and set aside to cool, until you can handle them.
- In a large bowl wisk together olive oil + garlic + salt and pepper + red pepper flakes and scallions. Set aside.
- Quarter potatoes and put into large bowl with olive oil mixture. Stir, making sure to coat all the potatoes. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2 hours.
- Remove from fridge and add red wine vinegar + fresh dill and feta cheese.
- Mix well and serve or it can be re-covered fridgerated over night. I like it best that way. The flavors really have time to marinate nicely, and will save you some time the day of your party.