Let me guess, you’re here because of curiosity? I get it. Why make your own apple sauce when you can just buy a jar of America’s favorite, Musselman’s or Mott’s 🙂 Well, I’m with ya and I definitely do that in a pinch, but once you see how simple it is, you’ll be making this every holiday for sure. It’s one of those recipes the kiddos will love to help with. This one is my mama’s recipe and I’m thrilled to share it with you all. Enjoy!
- 8 large apples - mix of varieties - mcintosh, golden delicious, gala, honey crisp- cored & chopped
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- In a large pot add apples, water, sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a simmer over medium/high heat, stirring from time to time.
- Reduce heat to low and cover tightly and cook until apples are tender, about 20 mins.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and cinnamon and let cool about 10 mins.
- Next, puree apples to a consistency that you like by transferring to a blender or food processor until desired texture. I like ours a tad chunky., so I puree less. You can also use an immersion blender as well.
- Place apple sauce in serving dish and cover tightly. Refrigerate until cool and serve. will keep in fridge about 3 days