Another Christmas morning tradition in my household is this incredible French Toast Bake…I mean talk about sweet and gooey…this bake is the answer to all of my french toast dreams. I have always loved good french toast, but this bake adds some more flavors, and makes our Christmas even better..because well Santa gets the cookies and milk, but we get the French Toast, and I am VERY ok with that.
- 1 large loaf of crusty bread (I like using sourdough)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbs pure vanilla
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Rough chop loaf of bread into cubes and place evenly into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs + milk + cream + sugar and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread.
- Cover your dish with saran wrap and refridgerate over night.
- In a small bowl mix together flour + brown sugar + salt and cinnamon.
- Cut butter into sugar and flour mix until crumbly. You can do this morning of, but I do night before and place in ziploc bag until morning.
- Take baking dish + sugar mix out of the refridgerater in morning. Sprinkle topping evenly over bread.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Do you serve this warm or room temperature?
How much butter do you cut in for the topping? One stick?
1/2 to 1 stick! Whatever your preference is!
It doesn’t say how much butter or mention butter in the ingredient list
You can cut 1/2 to 1 stick of butter in the topping. Very yummy!
Total winner, all thumbs up at my house this Christmas morning! Thanks Landyn for sharing.
I normally don’t post negative comments but this one left me hanging this Christmas morning😬 & I don’t want the same to happen to someone else. Followed the recipe perfectly, and it was bland and not worth the calories. Everyone ended up throwing it out and ate cereal instead. I should have had a back-up dish just in case🤦♀️. The white chili is a family favorite, so I had high hopes for this.
I’m sorry that you felt that way. It’s one of my most popular recipes. I hate that you were disappointed. Hopefully you’ll give more of my recipes a try!
Vanilla? 2 tablespoons or 2 teaspoons? Tablespoons seems like a bit much??
I used tablespoons and 💯 rave reviews! 🙌🏻🤷🏼♀️
It says to cut butter into the flour mix , but it doesn’t say how much butter. so just keep adding until crumbly is that what you are saying, Thank you and Merry Christmas
Top with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Little ones love !!