Who doesn’t love a fresh baked bagel? I’m so happy to continue our cooking series with Suzanne Ryan of Keto Karma. She has a new cookbook called Beyond Simply Keto and has graciously offered to share recipes from it with us for this month! I’m going to make these this weekend, so stay tuned to my Instagram stories to follow along!
P.S. We had some technical difficulties with last week’s recipe. You can find the Chocolate-covered Cookie Dough bites here!
There are a million keto bagel recipes out there, but I found that using flaxseed meal really makes this recipe special. Not only is flaxseed full of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber, but it also really changes the texture of these bagels to become more “breadlike” than most other keto bagels I’ve tried. These bagels are great to make the night before because they are even better once they are sliced and toasted!
- 3 cups shredded low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese (¼ cup), cubed
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- For the bagel tops
- 1 large egg, for the egg wash
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning mix
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese for 2 minutes. Take out, stir, and microwave the cheeses for an additional minute. Take out and stir until the cheeses are combined and smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt. Add the mozzarella mixture and eggs to the dry ingredients and start kneading with your hands. You can also do this in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Make sure everything is well mixed together.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions, then form each into a round disk, about ½ inch thick. Using your finger, poke a hole into the center of each disk and mold to form a bagel shape.
- Whisk the remaining egg in a small bowl. Brush the egg wash on the top of each bagel, then carefully sprinkle the bagel seasoning evenly onto the tops of the bagels.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Serve as is or slice in half and toast before serving. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or zip-top bag for 2 to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Variation: Everything Bagel Personal Pizzas. Slice a bagel in half and top with no-sugar marinara sauce (page 82) and your favorite low-carb toppings. Put under the broiler until the cheese is melted.